One of the biggest benefits to living in a large city like New York is the vast number of opportunities to catch live music. Throughout the year, across the city, you can catch great world-class acts any night of the week. However, there’s no better time or place for live music than New York City in the summertime.
Outdoor NYC concerts are a major part of summertime fun in the city. There are massive festivals with big-name headliners down to intimate performances by brand-new acts just about to blow up. There’s a huge spectrum of live music to enjoy all summer long. Read on for our guide to all things outdoor concerts NYC.
Five Outdoor Concerts in NYC Summer 2017
- Elvis Costello & The Imposters, June 15, Central Park. Part of Central Park’s annual SummerStage, venerated classic rocker Elvis Costello will be serenading New Yorkers at Rumsey Playfield. Just one of many incredible shows that make up this year’s diverse SummerStage lineup. There’s a show for everyone’s musical taste, from jam bands to indie rockers. Be sure to check out the entire schedule. SummerStage takes place every summer between May and September.
- Sia, July 22, Central Park. ABC’s Good Morning America puts on its own set of NYC free outdoor concerts in Central Park. You can catch immensely talented singer and pop songstress Sia without paying a dime! There are also many other hugely popular Top 40 acts as long as you can get up early. Doors open at 6am every Friday in the summer for these free concerts in Central Park. Shows are aired live between 7 and 9 am.
- Hot 97 Summer Jam, June 11, MetLife Stadium. Hip-hop fanatics look forward each year to the annual Hot 97 Summer Jam festival. This year it will welcome big acts like Future, Travi$ Scott, Chance the Rapper and dozens of others. Though it’s held in New Jersey, the lineup is well worth the train ride from Penn Station.
- Tame Impala, June 15, Prospect Park Bandshell. Check out the internationally celebrated Aussie psych-rock outfit Tame Impala. Their rain-or-shine appearance in Prospect Park is sure to be one of the hottest outdoor concerts in Brooklyn this summer.
- Echo & the Bunnymen and Violent Femmes, July 12, Coney Island Boardwalk. Legendary 80s rockers Echo & the Bunnymen will join alternative indie folk outfit Violent Femmes for a great night of entertainment at the newly constructed Amphitheater on the Coney Island Boardwalk.
What to Bring to an Outdoor Concert
Keep in mind most NYC outdoor concerts take place rain or shine so you’ll need to be prepared for the elements. Sunscreen is a must, but if there’s a chance of rain on the horizon, you’ll want to pack an umbrella or poncho too.
Lawn chairs, blankets, water and snacks go a long way toward making your outdoor concert experience as fun as possible. However, be sure to check the venue’s regulations to make sure what items are allowed.
What To Wear
NYC summer concerts are a great way to show off your style to some of the city’s most fashionable music fans. Carefully choose an outfit that will make you feel both confident and comfortable. Wear comfortable shoes for dancing. If you’ll be at a show with a rowdy crowd, think about wearing closed-toe kicks to protect your feet from getting stomped.
Whichever shows you decide to check out, you’re in for a summer of fun and excellent live music all over New York City.